This week’s episode of Destination Linux, we have a special guest joining us, Matt the host of DLN’s Game Sphere podcast to talk to us about ‘Playstation’s recent announcement with Discord’ and what that might mean for Linux gamers. Then we’ll take a field trip to Jill’s Museum for another rendition of a segment everyone loves, Jill’s Treasure Hunt. We’re also going to be covering a cloud based desktop solution. Cloud . . . Desktop? That’s right. We’ll let you know what that seemingly contradictory sentence means later in the show. Plus we’ve also got our famous tips, tricks and software picks. All of this and so much more this week on Destination Linux. So whether you’re brand new to Linux and open source or a guru of sudo. This is the podcast for you.
Hosts of Destination Linux:
Want to Support the Show?
Want to follow the show and hosts on social media?
You can find all of our social accounts at https://destinationlinux.org/contact
- 00:00:00 = Welcome to DL 225
- 00:01:15 = Why Gaming Is Important to the Linux Ecosystem
- 00:04:54 = Community Feedback: Contributions as a Non-Developer & Helping with Improving Privacy Components
- 00:14:21 = Digital Ocean: App Platform / Cloud ( https://do.co/dln )
- 00:15:47 = Jill’s Treasure Hunt: Ouya Game Console
- 00:31:14 = News: Shells.com Cloud-based Desktop Computing
- 00:44:34 = Bitwarden Password Manager ( https://bitwarden.com/dln )
- 00:46:39 = Gaming: Sony + Discord & Valve’s Proton with Matt from DLN’s Game Sphere
- 01:02:52 = Software Spotlight: Hedgewars
- 01:05:05 = Tip of the Week: Game Mode from Feral Interactive
- 01:07:43 = Outro
- 01:07:50 = Become a Patron for Extras & Bonus Content
- 01:08:29 = Join us Live on Sundays at DLNLive.com
- 01:08:47 = New Merch Drop at DLNStore.com!
- 01:09:31 = More Great Content at DestinationLinux.Network
- 01:10:07 = DLN Xtend Recording Live On May 19th
- 01:10:39 = Patron Postshow Preview
Tip of the Week
- Our tip and trick this week is going to help you get the most out of your gaming experience on Linux.
- The tip is to use Game Mode in order to increase the performance you’re getting from your PC.
- Gamemode is a daemon/lib combo for Linux that allows games to request a set of optimisations… to be temporarily applied… to the host OS and/or a game process.
- First Install the gamemode and lib32-gamemode packages.
- Once that’s done open up Steam and to make sure Steam starts a game with gamemode, right click the game, select Properties…, then Launch Options and enter:
You should see some increased FPS and performance while gaming. You can also launch this on non Steam games using: